Friday, April 1, 2011

Two Truths and a Lie

So, in honor of April Fool’s Day, I thought about confessing something horrible and then saying April Fool’s at the end. But then I thought that would be too obvious. So I decided we should play the age old party game, “Two Truths and a Lie.” It will be up to you to decide when I’m fooling and when I’m for real.

a) I stole a Christian CD. Oh, the irony. I was too broke to afford a new CD and the owner, I rationalized, didn't really appreciate how cool the music was. These are the lies we tell ourselves to justify our actions when we know we're wrong.

You desire but do not have, so you kill. You covet but you cannot get what you want, so you quarrel and fight. You do not have because you do not ask God. James 4:2

b) I got two speeding tickets on the same trip. An expensive week of seminary. I knew how long it took to drive each way to Kansas City, and I knew what time my classes started, but somehow I didn't apply that math and found myself trying to make up time on the way.  It cost me time and treasure.

If you plan and work hard, you will have plenty; if you get in a hurry, you will end up poor. Proverbs 21:5

c) I crashed a beauty contest, dressed in a formal, and wearing a crown and sash. It was a hotheaded and vengeful action.  The organizers had insulted me and I felt otherwise powerless to defend myself, so I took the wrong action and made myself the joke.

Be beautiful in your heart by being gentle and quiet. This kind of beauty will last, and God considers it very special. 1 Peter 3:4

Don't be a spoil sport if you already know the answer. Just vote for which one you think is the lie and I will confess the real ones later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment