Friday, July 27, 2012

I've got something yellow coming out of my ear.

First and foremost, let me say – does anyone need a little crooked neck summer squash?  Or a lot?  Short of that – does anyone have a rockin’ squash recipe that uses up seven…or fifteen…pounds of it?  It’s a horrible drought, yet, somehow, we have been harvesting four or five big ones a day.

We got our garden in late, relative to most other vegetable gardens around here.  Anxious to get a good crop going on the first try, we pretty much over-seeded everything.  Then I was so excited when all the little sprouts started coming up that I just did not have the heart to thin them.  They were such cute, little baby plants.  I couldn’t imagine having too many plants in a garden.  So I let them all grow; I was sure that the minute I pulled half, or even a third of them, the rest were going to change their mind, shrivel up, and die.

Well, nothing changed its mind.  We compounded our lack of thinning with gross overwatering when we forgot the sprinkler – watering the garden from dusk ‘til dawn not once, but twice.  Despite the distasteful accountability of having to pay the inflated water bill, I still feel guilty every time someone comments on how huge our plants are.  Our soil is truly fantastic, but our abuse of the municipal water supply certainly played a role.

Now we have a jungle that is producing a harvest with which we cannot keep up!  I need to find ways to incorporate squash in breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks.  And if I’m successful at using up the squash, who knows what I’m going to do with all the cucumbers.  Trust me, I’m not complaining.  I’m just trying to mitigate my guilt.  Farmers are crying for their lost harvest this year, grocery prices are about to skyrocket, there are children starving all around the world, and I’m here, hording squash.  That’s me.  The Squash-Horder.

 “For the next ten days, let us have only vegetables and water at mealtime. Daniel 1:12

No comments:

Post a Comment